A nutrient powerhouse with it’s combination of nuts & seeds, this oil free, refined sugar free, wheat free, vegan, (yeah, yeah, now I just seem pretentious, don’t I?) crunchy cereal masterpiece will give you the perfect morning boost. Knock together a batch on a Sunday evening and you’ll have a super quick nutritious (& delicious) breakfast to hand for the mornings ahead.
50g roughly chopped hazelnuts
20g sunflower seeds
2 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 140ºC and cover a large tray with a sheet of baking paper.
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over the dates until they are just covered, leave to soak.
- Meanwhile, measure out all of your other ingredients in a separate bowl and give them a good mix together.
- Once your dates are soft and juicy, drain them of most of their boiling water – leave about a tbsp. Using a stick blender, or a mini food processor, blend your dates into a smooth paste – you may have to scrape down the sides of your food processor a couple of times.
- Spoon the date puree into your dry mix and stir together. You might have to get your hands involved to make sure the dates have evenly coated the oat mixture and everything is nice & sticky. You should be able to squash the mixture into little clusters that hold their shape.
- Spread the mixture out evenly on your prepared baking sheet, pinching bits together with your fingers to make sure you get plenty of chunky, crunchy clusters.
- Pop your tray in the oven for about an hour, check on it periodically to make sure everything is getting evenly toasty and not burning. When the clusters are nice and crisp to touch, remove the tray and leave your cereal to cool down.
- Store in an airtight container, serve with your favourite plant milk and some sweet berries for extra goodness 🍓